Recently, Seattle Children?s Hospital was?forced to shut down four of their 14 operating rooms?after a routine inspection showed signs of mold. While the findings were determined to pose little threat to patients and staff, the precaution was taken to ensure no complications caused by mold exposure during surgery. The operating rooms are currently closed until further notice while officials get to the bottom of the problem and ensure the sanitation and safety of these medical spaces.?
Most people understand that mold in your home or commercial property is dangerous;?it?s one of the long-term risks associated with floods caused by heavy rains, faulty pipes, or other causes of water damage.?While we expect hospitals to uphold the highest in sanitation standards, and the quick response to a mold threat is commendable,?few people really understand why mold growth is such a problem.?Though?knowing mold can make you sick is important, not knowing the health issues associated with mold exposure may lead some to neglect mold removal in Fort Lauderdale.?
What is Mold??
Mold is a form of fungus, a colony consisting of millions of microorganisms, which thrives in moist, humid climates. In Florida, mold is a year-round problem but the summer months increase the likelihood of growth. With hurricane season extending to the end of November, the threat of a storm also carries risks for mold caused by storm floods.??
When water damage is left unchecked, it creates the perfect breeding ground for mold. The microorganisms that form a mold colony release spores which become airborne before settling elsewhere, creating a new colony. This is why it?s important to conduct a full inspection before mold removal in Fort Lauderdale, ensuring all mold colonies are located and addressed.?
How Does Mold Cause Illness??
When mold releases its spores for breeding, they can travel far beyond the original colony. That includes into the air we breathe or into commonly used surfaces. While the mold spores we?re exposed to on a day to day basis may not be enough to get you ill, long-term exposure due to mold in the home, school, or work environment can cause serious issues.?
The people more vulnerable to illness caused by mold are those with weakened immune systems. Infants, small children, pregnant women, and the elderly are especially sensitive to the effects of mold. Those with impaired immune systems caused by other health conditions should also be careful to keep the home free of mold.?
Most people who become ill because of mold spores experience allergic reactions. These people likely have seasonal allergies, making it difficult to differentiate mold-based sickness. However, when it comes to mold exposure, symptoms are typically consistent and can last for weeks or months.??
These symptoms include:?
- Red, itchy eyes?
- Coughing and sneezing?
- Stuffy or running nose?
- Sore throat
- Itchiness in the throat?
- Difficulty breathing?
In rare cases, long-term mold exposure can lead to mold poisoning, which has similar symptoms to upper respiratory tract infection or the flu. Left untreated, mold poisoning can be dangerous, especially for the very young or old.?
Addressing Mold in Your Home or Business?
If you suspect a mold problem in your home or commercial property, contact MVP Environmental Solutions today!?Florida licensed and with over 40 years or experience, we can resolve any mold issue quickly and at your?earliest?convenience. Our specialists will conduct a thorough inspection of your property to identify the source of mold growth and address the problem to prevent future mold troubles.?
Contact MVP Environmental Solutions today for more information about how we can prevent mold-related illness!?