Mold and Allergies: 10 Ways to Reduce Symptoms

I was digging around the internet and came across this awesome article about allergy to mold.
If you have allergy symptoms year-round — or if they get worse in damp weather — you may be allergic to mold. While people with pollen allergies tend to have seasonal symptoms, mold allergies can flare all year long. Indoor mold can be a problem in winter months, because mold will grow in your house where there is enough moisture — whether it’s on a basement wall, in your crawl space, a damp carpet, or behind the bathroom tile.

You may not even realize the mold is there — but if you’re sensitive you’ll react with coughing, wheezing, stuffy nose, or irritated eyes.

“Very often, people don’t really know what the problem is,” says John Martyny, PhD, an industrial hygienist with National Jewish Health Center in Denver. “They have an allergic reaction, lots of sinus drainage, lots of upper respiratory problems, and it doesn’t last for just a month or two. This goes on 12 months a year. It is not a minimal problem — it can really change your life.” We’re all exposed to mold spores. Mold is a fungus that breaks down plant or animal matter, like leaves, wood, dirt, and food. It’s present both indoors and out. The trouble comes with a mold allergy, when mold spores trigger reactions like allergic rhinitis or asthma. Molds can also produce volatile organic compounds (VOCs) — the musty odor that irritates eyes, nose, and throat.

Black Mold: Toxic or Not?

What’s known as black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum) is a slow-growing mold that grows only on wood, paper, and cotton. It’s often called “toxic black mold,” but the mold itself is not poisonous. “There’s no question that the mold spores are very potent, but they are given off in extremely low levels,” he tells WebMD. “It’s really just another mold. What we see is an allergic reaction or asthma.” Black mold has been blamed for serious lung problems in a small number of infants, but that has not yet been proven. It’s not uncommon for people to develop an allergy to mold — not just black mold, says David Lang, MD, head of allergy/immunology at the Cleveland Clinic. “Infants, small children, and elderly adults are more likely to react to any type of mold,” he says. It may be hard to get a mold allergy correctly diagnosed. “Very often, the root of the problem isn’t identified correctly,” Martyny says. “People have these symptoms, but they don’t realize they have a moisture and mold problem at home. If you get rid of the allergens — the mold — people get better, and they get better pretty fast.” In some cases, mold exposure can cause serious respiratory problems, with symptoms like chest tightness and difficulty breathing. “Some people who are exposed to high levels of any mold for a long time develop lung hypersensitivity — which leads to scar tissue in the lungs,” Martyny explains. “Some people recover when the mold source is removed. But if they’ve been exposed for a long time, they may never recover.” Coughing, wheezing, runny nose, irritated eyes or throat — these are all signs of mold allergy. Mold allergies can also trigger an asthma attack, with symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of breath. If you have these symptoms, see an allergist for skin testing or a blood test to diagnose mold allergy.

Do You Have Mold?

Older homes are prime habitats for mold, which thrives in a dark, damp, warm environment. If you have water damage, water leaks, a leaky roof, a washing machine that overflows frequently, that moisture can give mold a toehold. In winter months, indoor heat inside the house will pull air from the crawl space into the living space, says Martyny. That’s one reason a mold allergy may get worse in winter. “In some instances, it can be hard to see the water damage,” he adds. “You may have to have a professional with a moisture meter and infrared cameras see if anything is leaking.” So what can you do to reduce your exposure to mold? Attack mold on two fronts — removal and prevention:

  • Get your house tested for mold. A moisture meter test will help. Also, a dust sample from your carpet can show whether mold spores are in your home. Check with your state health department about mold testing. Or look in the yellow pages for environmental testing, Martyny suggests.
  • Fix leaky plumbing or other sources of water. If you have mold in your crawl space or basement, locate the source and stop the water from coming in.
  • If your crawl space has mold, call an environmental service to get rid of it. If a small area is moldy, you can try cleaning it yourself.
  • Check inside drywall for mold inside the wall. You can usually smell mold even if you can’t see it. Moldy drywall must be cut out and replaced. Moldy insulation also must be removed and replaced.
  • Wash mold off hard surfaces. You don’t have to use chlorine bleach; soap and water, combined with scrubbing from a stiff brush, works to remove mold. Some people also recommend vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. Non-toxic cleaners are also available. Allow areas to dry completely.
  • Dry water-damaged areas and items (like carpeting) within 24 to 48 hours of flooding. Don’t install carpeting in areas where there is a moisture problem.
  • If ceiling tiles or carpet have become moldy, they must be replaced. Throw out all wet, moldy tiles and carpeting.
  • Reduce indoor humidity by venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources. Exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchens can help. If you don’t have exhaust fans, crack a window in the kitchen when you’re cooking or in the bathroom when you’re bathing.
  • Use air conditioners and dehumidifiers inside your home. Change filters regularly. Use a dehumidifier to get rid of dampness in basements.
  • Add insulation to windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors where there is potential for condensation on cold surfaces.

If you’re working in a moldy area, always wear a filtered face mask so you won’t inhale mold spores.

By Jeanie Lerche Davis

Courtesy of WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/mold-allergies-reduce-symptoms

TESTIMONIALS

They were unbelievable. They did a great job and I was very impressed.

MICHAEL K.

Leo and his team were very courteous and professional. They made the process as comfortable as possible.

RENEE P.

Very Professional, very friendly and on time, reasonable prices, very informative on what he was doing.

AMBER D.

Very pleasant and professional. Was an advocate for me during the claim with the insurance company.

VIVIAN R.

Leo is prompt and responds quickly. Very knowledgeable.

IRIS S.

OFFICE HOURS

Mon – Fri 8:00am – 5:00pm
Emergencies Available 24/7

  (954) 247-9444

OFFICE LOCATION

OUR SPECIALITIES

  • Water Damage & Removal

  • Mold Inspection & Testing

  • Mold Damage & Removal

  • Fire & Smoke Damage

  • Disaster, Flood & Storm Damage

  • Direct Insurance Billing
CONTACT US